While most folks may link pumpkins to Halloween and carving, there is so much more this fall favorite can do. Pumpkins are rich in Vitamins A, C and E, low in calories and high in antioxidants. Pumpkins are packed with fiber, helping you stay full longer and suppress your appetite. Check out these healthy pumpkin recipes from VEBA’s Executive Chef, Leslie Myers!
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Just in time for Fall, Chef Leslie has a delicious pumpkin recipe that the whole family can enjoy: grain-free Pumpkin Spice Muffins with chocolate chips.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, sweet potato or butternut squash puree
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cup cashew butter (or other nut butter) at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (we used Lily’s)
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a regular size muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs well until uniform in color. In order of the ingredient list, add each one at a time, except the chocolate chips, whisking well after each addition.
- Using a 1/4 cup, distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350F, or until set in the center. The baking time will vary as to the temperature of eggs and other ingredients.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks; or freeze these for 6 months in a tightly sealed container.
- 12 muffins
Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
Change up your smoothie routine this fall with Chef Leslie’s Pumpkin Spice Smoothie, packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene. The pecans are optional, but they add a layer of toasty deliciousness!
- 6 ounces canned pumpkin or 6-7 ounces of baked sweet potato, cold
- 3 ounces Greek yogurt
- ½ cup frozen cauliflower
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sweetener such as 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup or Stevia drops for a low sugar option
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 2 tbsp-1/4 water to thin, optional
- 2 tbsp toasted pecan pieces, optional
- Put all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of hemp, flax or chia seeds for even more nutrients.
- One smoothie