California Schools VEBA is committed to the health and safety of our Members. We are working with each of our carrier and medical partners on their plans for distributing COVID-19 vaccines to our VEBA Members. As the local strategy rolls out, we will provide the how, when and where as it becomes available to the public. We promise that getting the latest information to you, our Members, is our first priority.
VEBA is prepared to provide comprehensive vaccine information to all of our members. We are dedicated to supporting you during this challenging time.
Below is the latest information we can offer at this time.
VEBA hosted a webinar on the COVID-19 vaccine with Susan Little, M.D., a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases and Global Public Health, at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
Listen to what she had to say about the vaccine.
VEBA was joined by Shane Crotty, Ph.D. from the La Jolla Institute for Immunology, to present a webinar on the COVID-19 vaccine.
He discussed everything you need to know about the vaccine, such as how it works, effectiveness, safety and side effects.
Common Questions About the COVID-19 Vaccine
There are many questions about the COVID-19 vaccine. VEBA’s Co-Medical Director, Dr. Angie Neison, addresses 9 common questions in this video.
Jump to Section:
Vaccine Information Resources
State of California
COVID-19 Information Hotline
M – F 8 am – 8 pm | Sa – Su 8 am – 5 pm
This hotline is available in several languages and is a live answer service.
- Feb 24, 2021 — Vaccinations To Open to Teachers, Law Enforcement, Food Workers on Saturday
- Feb 24, 2021 — County moves date for new vaccination group up to Saturday
- Feb 24, 2021 — San Diego County: Teachers, Police, Some Others Can Get Vaccine Starting Saturday
- Feb 24, 2021 — CVS to offer COVID-19 vaccine at 40 California pharmacies
- Feb 24, 2021 — For San Diego Seniors, Making Vaccination Appointments is as Easy as Calling 211
- Feb 24, 2021 — LA County Lays Out Plan For Vaccinating Teachers Starting Monday
- Feb 23, 2021 — 80K COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Arriving in San Diego County
- Feb 23, 2021 — Petco Park COVID-19 Vaccine Site Reopens, New Site Operating In Otay Mesa
- Feb 23, 2021 — Imperial County moving on to the next phase of vaccine rollout
- Feb 23, 2021 — Orange County’s New Vaccine Site Opens at the Anaheim Convention Center
- Feb 23, 2021 — Another 32,000 coronavirus vaccine appointments open in Riverside County
- Feb 23, 2021 — All teachers are now eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations in San Bernardino County
- Feb 23, 2021 — The Forum To Offer First COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Only Thursday Through Sunday
- Feb 23, 2021 — Imperial County Board demands action from Newsom
- Feb 22, 2021 — OC expands COVID vaccine eligibility to include teachers, child care providers, food industry workers
- Feb 22, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics Coming to Lemon Grove, Otay Mesa
- Feb 22, 2021 — Petco Park Super Station to Reopen Tuesday
- Feb 22, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics Coming to Lemon Grove, Otay Mesa
- Feb 22, 2021 — Hundreds of COVID-19 vaccine appointments at Del Mar site this week
- Feb 22, 2021 — Calexico sees first mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic
- Feb 22, 2021 — LA’s City-Run Vaccination Sites to Reopen Tuesday After Weekend Shutdown
- Feb 22, 2021 — Newsom visits mobile vaccination sites in LA as new vaccine delivery system starts in parts of CA
- Feb 19, 2021 — All Delayed COVID-19 Vaccine Expected Next Week
- Feb 19, 2021 — Costco set to administer COVID-19 vaccines in LA County and Inland Empire
- Feb 19, 2021 — Vaccine POD Coming to Capistrano Unified School District site
- Feb 18, 2021 — County Sites Rescheduling COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments Due to Continued Delivery Delays
- Feb 18, 2021 — Petco Park’s Vaccination Super Station Closed Again Due to Vaccine Shipment Delay
- Feb 18, 2021 — Balboa Municipal Gym vaccine site closed due to lack of doses
- Feb 18, 2021 — Gov. Newsom Comes To Riverside County, Addresses Inequity
- Feb 18, 2021 — Why there’s uneven supply of vaccine doses within San Diego County
- Feb 18, 2021 — Vaccine updates: Riverside County opens more appointments for seniors
- Feb 18, 2021 — About 600 coronavirus vaccine shots delayed in Riverside County due to icy weather elsewhere
- Feb 18, 2021 — Disneyland COVID-19 vaccine site to temporarily close due to weather delaying dose shipment
- Feb 17, 2021 — More than 12,000 vaccine appointments in Los Angeles delayed because of weather
- Feb 17, 2021 — Riverside County Health Officials ask residents to be patient waiting for a second vaccine dose
- Feb 17, 2021 — Petco Park’s Vaccination Super Station Reopens After Shipment Delay Causes Supply Shortage
- Feb 17, 2021 — San Diego County Prioritizing 2nd Doses as Winter Weather Slows Vaccine Deliveries
- Feb 17, 2021 — San Diego County Reserves COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments for Project SAVE
- Feb 17, 2021 — LAUSD opens COVID vaccine location, looks to operate mass site at SoFi Stadium
- Feb 17, 2021 — Vaccination site opens at Santa Ana College to target areas hard-hit by COVID-19
- Feb 17, 2021 — Seniors Alerted for Second Dose as Dodger Stadium Reopens
- Feb 16, 2021 — San Bernardino County intensifying efforts to vaccinate those 65 and older
- Feb 16, 2021 — L.A. County gets another vaccine site, but supply remains critically low
- Feb 16, 2021 — COVID-19 shots might be tweaked if variants get worse
- Feb 16, 2021 — 2,000 COVID-19 vaccine appointments open up at Sharp-run sites
- Feb 16, 2021 — CDC gives guidance on using pain relievers like Motrin, Tylenol with COVID-19 vaccine
- Feb 15, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments Available This Week Through San Diego Fire-Rescue
- Feb 15, 2021 — When Is It OK to Visit Someone After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine?
- Feb 15, 2021 — Petco Park Vaccination Super Station Will Reopen Wednesday
- Feb 15, 2021 — Cal State LA Site Opens to Jump Start SoCal Coronavirus Vaccinations
- Feb 13, 2021 — Del Mar Fairgrounds site up and running despite vaccine shortage
- Feb 13, 2021 — What You Need to Know About the Rare But Possible COVID Vaccine Reactions
- Feb 12, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic to Open in Vista
- Feb 12, 2021 — Orange County To Open COVID-19 Vaccination Site At Santa Ana College
- Feb 12, 2021 — CVS to offer COVID vaccine in Lakewood and other SoCal sites
- Feb 12, 2021 — Rite Aid to begin offering limited amount of COVID-19 vaccinations in California
- Feb 12, 2021 — San Bernardino County opens nearly 40,000 vaccination appointments for seniors 65 and over
- Feb 12, 2021 — In-Depth: San Diego dentists hope to administer more COVID-19 vaccines
- Feb 12, 2021 — Select CVS Pharmacies in San Diego County Now Offering COVID-19 Vaccine
- Feb 12, 2021 — Delayed Moderna Shipment Will Force Petco Vaccination Site to Close for 3 Days
- Feb 12, 2021 — Delivery Shortfall Slows COVID-19 Vaccination Availability
- Feb 12, 2021 — COVID vaccine appointments fill up for Monday Palm Springs clinic
- Feb 12, 2021 — More COVID vaccine appointments available for residents 65 years and older only
- Feb 11, 2021 — New COVID-19 vaccination site opens in San Marcos just for seniors
- Feb 11, 2021 — Los Angeles Closes Dodger Stadium Vaccination Site as Supplies Run Low
- Feb 11, 2021 — Good News from CDC: People Fully Vaccinated Can Skip 14-Day Quarantine
- Feb 10, 2021 — CVS and Walgreens begin COVID-19 vaccinations in California: What you need to know
- Feb 10, 2021 — CVS Health plans to vaccinate people after Dr. Ruiz calls out pharmacy for leaving Riverside County out of vaccination plans
- Feb 10, 2021 — Sharp Hospital Says Hundreds of COVID-19 Vaccinations Available At Super Station Locations
- Feb 10, 2021 — Del Mar Fairgrounds Will Open COVID-19 Vaccine Site On Friday
- Feb 10, 2021 — Limited Vaccine Supply Slows San Diego County’s Vaccination Goal Progress
- Feb 10, 2021 — Vaccination site opens at Copper Mountain College
- Feb 10, 2021 — Seniors-Only COVID-19 Vaccination Site Opens In San Marcos
- Feb 10, 2021 — Adults over 60 will be the next to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in Baja California
- Feb 10, 2021 — St. Mary Medical Center to host Victor Valley’s 1st mass COVID-19 vaccination site starting Feb. 16
- Feb 10, 2021 — Imperial County announces second COVID-19 first-dose vaccine clinic for 65 years and older
- Feb 9, 2021 — It will be at least 2 weeks before O.C. expands vaccines to teachers, food service workers, health officer says
- Feb 9, 2021 — How to sign up for a COVID-19 vaccine in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura counties
- Feb 9, 2021 — San Bernardino County using 89.5% of coronavirus vaccines within 4 days
- Feb 9, 2021 — Palm Springs Convention Center opening as COVID-19 vaccine site Friday
- Feb 9, 2021 — L.A. County getting more COVID-19 vaccines, but most are going to 2nd doses
- Feb 9, 2021 — Top 5 COVID-19 vaccine myths
- Feb 9, 2021 — Safety Precautions That Should be Taken Between COVID-19 Vaccines, as Recommended by Doctor
- Feb 9, 2021 — CVS Pharmacy COVID-19 Vaccination Launch Pushed Back One Day
- Feb 8, 2021 — County Takes Regional Approach To Vaccinations For Border Crossers
- Feb 8, 2021 — UC San Diego Health Opens Vaccine Super Site On Campus For Patients, Faculty
- Feb 8, 2021 — COVID-19 resource clinic opens in north San Diego County
- Feb 8, 2021 — In-Depth: San Diego County’s alternative COVID-19 vaccination sites
- Feb 8, 2021 — Family Health Centers to open more vaccine clinics in San Diego’s underserved cities
- Feb 8, 2021 — Vaccine updates: County opens clinics to residents age 65 and over
- Feb 8, 2021 — Newsom Touts San Diego as Leader in Vaccination Efforts During Visit to Petco Park Super Station
- Feb 8, 2021 — LA County COVID Vaccine Super Sites Only Giving Out Second Doses This Week
- Feb 8, 2021 — UC San Diego vaccination super station opens on campus
- Feb 7, 2021 — Riverside County vaccine clinics now open to residents age 70 and older
- Feb 7, 2021 — East San Diego County coronavirus vaccine site adds additional dates
- Feb 6, 2021 — No Appointment Needed at Family Health Centers of San Diego COVID-19 Vaccine Site
- Feb 5, 2021 — Mass vaccination site opens at Cal Poly Pomona. Next up: Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara
- Feb 5, 2021 — Navigating lines at vaccine sites in San Diego County
- Feb 5, 2021 — Vaccination Numbers Grow, But Keep Up Mask Wearing, Social Distancing
- Feb 5, 2021 — Common Questions About COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Feb 5, 2021 — Pilot Program Aims To Promote Coronavirus Vaccination In The South Bay
- Feb 4, 2021 — San Diego State University Opens Small-Scale Site for Coronavirus Vaccinations
- Feb 4, 2021 — O.C. pharmacies coming online to offer COVID-19 vaccines after fed vows to ship 1M doses next week
- Feb 4, 2021 — In-Depth: Should pregnant or breastfeeding women get the COVID vaccine?
- Feb 4, 2021 — Can I take painkillers before or after a COVID-19 vaccine?
- Feb 4, 2021 — Orange County adds drive-thru option at Soka University vaccination site
- Feb 4, 2021 — COVID-19 shots speed up in Orange County as health networks join the race
- Feb 4, 2021 — Riverside County COVID-19 vaccine clinics now open to residents 80 and over
- Feb 4, 2021 — COVID-19: Cal State Los Angeles to become mass vaccination site
- Feb 3, 2021 — San Diegans Urged to Be Patient to Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19
- Feb 3, 2021 — San Diego County Opens 5th COVID-19 Vaccine ‘Super Station’ At UCSD
- Feb 3, 2021 — San Diego pharmacies offering free COVID-19 vaccinations
- Feb 3, 2021 — Looking for a COVID-19 vaccine? County mega clinics aren’t your only option
- Feb 3, 2021 — Vaccine Shortage Limits San Diego County to 10,000 Shots a Day — Half of Capacity
- Feb 3, 2021 — City authorized to receive, administer COVID-19 vaccine
- Feb 3, 2021 — San Diego Slowly Expanding Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccines
- Feb 2, 2021 — All Orange County school employees to be offered COVID-19 vaccine, but when will that happen?
- Feb 2, 2021 — In-Depth: Scheduling second COVID-19 vaccine dose depends on where you got the first shot
- Feb 2, 2021 — Cal Fire Traveling to Rural Communities to Offer COVID-19 Vaccines
- Feb 2, 2021 — Should you get the vaccine if you’ve already had COVID-19?
- Feb 2, 2021 — Select CVS Pharmacies in San Diego to Begin COVID-19 Vaccinations on Feb. 11
- Feb 2, 2021 — UC San Diego Health Opens Vaccination Site on University Campus
- Feb 2, 2021 — San Diego County’s Fourth Vaccine ‘Super Station’ Opens At Grossmont Center In La Mesa
- Feb 2, 2021 — Biden Administration Will Ship COVID-19 Vaccines Directly To Pharmacies
- Feb 2, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccine: Will It Protect Against New Variants And Do You Need A 2nd Dose?
- Feb 1, 2021 — Waste Not, Want Not: Making Sure Every Vaccine Dose Is Used
- Feb 1, 2021 — Questions and concerns plague state’s COVID-19 vaccine signup system
- Feb 1, 2021 — Glitch that caused delays at San Marcos vaccine super site fixed
- Feb 1, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics Coming to La Mesa, San Ysidro
- Feb 1, 2021 — At Least 300,000 Doses of COVID-19 Vaccines Administered in San Diego County
- Feb 1, 2021 — Riverside opens mass COVID-19 vaccination site in one of state’s most-infected regions
- Feb 1, 2021 — HOW-TO GUIDE: Finding and scheduling a COVID-19 vaccine appointment
JANUARY 2021 NEWS
- Jan 29, 2021 — COVID vaccine: San Bernardino County to conduct ‘super site’ event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana on Tuesday
- Jan 29, 2021 — San Diego COVID-19 Vaccination Super Station To Open In North County Sunday
- Jan 29, 2021 — County Opens New Vaccine Site at Tubman Chavez Community Center
- Jan 29, 2021 — Long Lines, High Demand: Imperial County’s COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics Don’t Work As Planned
- Jan 28, 2021 — Scheduling difficulties persist as San Diego’s vaccination effort expands
- Jan 28, 2021 — Congestion continues at Petco Park vaccine site
- Jan 28, 2021 — County Launches New Vaccination Appointment Map
- Jan 28, 2021 — Have questions about San Diego’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout? Here are some answers
- Jan 28, 2021 — MTS Launches Regional Ride Free to Your Vaccine Program
- Jan 27, 2021 — North County vaccination ‘super station’ to open at Cal State San Marcos
- Jan 27, 2021 — Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Help Bolster State’s Vaccination Efforts
- Jan 26, 2021 — County opens new COVID-19 vaccine station in Oceanside
- Jan 26, 2021 — Newsom Administration Supplements Vaccine Delivery System; Announces Creation of Statewide Vaccine Delivery Network to Simplify and Standardize Vaccination Process With Equity as a Core Focus
- Jan 26, 2021 — Riverside County has administered nearly 60% of its COVID-19 vaccine doses
- Jan 26, 2021 — California COVID-19 vaccine distribution by age plan | Your questions answered
- Jan 25, 2021 — California To Centralize Vaccines, Base Eligibility On Age
- Jan 25, 2021 — CA rolls out COVID-19 vaccine notification system | My Turn available in San Diego County
- Jan 23, 2021 — County Expands COVID-19 Vaccinations to 65 and Older
- Jan 22, 2021 — National City COVID-19 Vaccination Site Opens This Weekend
- Jan 21, 2021 — COVID-19 vaccine reactions: what you need to know
- Jan 21, 2021 — Riverside County COVID-19 vaccine clinics this weekend are all full
- Jan 21, 2021 — County Opens Two COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics in South Bay
- Jan 20, 2021 — County of Orange Adds Second Regional COVID-19 Vaccine Super POD Site
- Jan 19, 2021 — Los Angeles County Large-Scale Vaccination Sites Open; Vaccine Eligibility Opens to County Residents Aged 65 Years and Older
- Jan 18, 2021 — County of San Diego Expands COVID-19 Vaccination Availability to Ages 75 and Up
- Jan 14, 2021 — San Bernardino County Board Opens COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility to Residents Age 65 And Over
- Jan 14, 2021 — How older adults can get the COVID-19 vaccine
- Jan 13, 2021 — County Plans to Offer COVID-19 Vaccine to People 65 Years and Older
- Jan 13, 2021 — Seniors 65+ Now Eligible to Receive COVID-19 Vaccine to Effectively and Efficiently Increase Vaccine Distribution, Reduce Hospitalizations and Save Lives
- Jan 12, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccinations at Disneyland Resort Super POD Site by Appointment Only
- Jan 12, 2021 — Orange County Health Officer Opens COVID-19 Vaccine to Residents Ages 65 and Older
- Jan 11, 2021— County of Orange Announces First Regional COVID-19 Super POD at Disneyland Resort
- Jan 11, 2021 — COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic Opens at Petco Park as County Seeks More Vaccinators
- Jan 8, 2021 — County of San Diego to Open First “Vaccination Super Station” in Partnership With UC San Diego Health, Padres and City of San Diego
- Jan 6, 2021 — All People in Phase 1A Could Get COVID-19 Vaccine
- Jan 4, 2021 — FDA Statement on Following the Authorized Dosing Schedules for COVID-19 Vaccines
DECEMBER 2020 NEWS
- Dec 31, 2020 — Allergists Offer Reassurance Regarding Potential Allergic Reactions to COVID-19 Vaccines
- Dec 30, 2020 — California Department of Public Health COVID-19 Vaccine Fact Sheet
- Dec 21, 2020 — San Diego County Receives Its First Shipment of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- Dec 18, 2020 — FDA Takes Additional Action in Fight Against COVID-19 By Issuing Emergency Use Authorization for Second COVID-19 Vaccine
- Dec 18, 2020 — California Sets Teachers, First Responders For Next Vaccines
- Dec 17, 2020 — Moderna vaccine set for emergency use authorization with FDA advisory panel’s endorsement
- Dec 16, 2020 — 82K San Diegans Are First in Line to Get COVID-19 Vaccine
- Dec 15, 2020 — San Diego Unified Starts COVID-19 Testing at Elementary Schools Under UC San Diego Partnership
- Dec 14, 2020 — San Diego County Receives First COVID-19 Vaccines For Military, Civilians
- Dec 14, 2020 — 28K COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Arriving in San Diego
- Dec 11, 2020 — U.S. Food and Drug Administration issues the first emergency use authorization: Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- Dec 9, 2020 — COVID-19 Vaccine: Who is Getting It First?
National Public Health Sites
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Local Public Health Sites
- California Department of Public Health
- State of California
- CA Safe Schools for All
- San Diego County
- San Diego 211
- Orange County
- Los Angeles County
- Imperial County
- Riverside County
- San Bernardino County
- United Healthcare (UHC)
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kaiser Vaccine Line: To get the latest information, call their 24/7 vaccine hotline at 855-550-0951. Also available in Spanish.
- Express Scripts
Medical Groups – San Diego
- Sharp HealthCare
- UC San Diego Health
- Scripps Health
- Arch Health Medical Group
- Primary Care Associates Medical Group
- Cassidy Medical Group
- Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego
Medical Groups – Southern California
- OptumCare Medical Group
- MemorialCare Health System
- Beaver Medical Group
- Edinger Medical Group
- Regal Medical Group
- ADOC Medical Group
Feeling stressed or a little overwhelmed by everything going on? Optum offers a free emotional support line for all VEBA members. Anyone, including your family and friends, can call 866-342-6892 to speak to a mental health expert 24/7.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the COVID-19 vaccine?
Vaccines are being developed to help prevent COVID-19. There are two vaccines at the front of the line for Emergency Use Authorizations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
On December 11, 2020, the FDA issued the first emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in individuals 16 years of age and older. On December 18, 2020, the second EUA was issued for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
The manufacturers report that both vaccines were approximately 95% effective at preventing COVID-19 disease.
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is administered as a two-dose series, three weeks apart, into the muscle. To learn more about the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, visit their site.
The Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is administered as a two-dose series, one month apart, into the muscle. Read the FDA fact sheet to learn more about the Moderna vaccine.
Is the COVID-19 vaccine safe?
Safety of the COVID-19 vaccines is a top priority and federal agencies are working together to ensure the safety of COVID-19 vaccines.
A new tool, v-safe, has been developed by the CDC as an additional way to monitor safety of the COVID-19 vaccine. The convenient health checker is smartphone-based and should be used once you receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Please note that the COVID-19 vaccine is not for everyone. Experts say you should not get the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine if you:
- had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine
- had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine.
How much does the vaccine cost?
The COVID-19 vaccine will be free for all VEBA members.
Will the vaccine give me COVID-19 or cause me to test positive for COVID-19?
No, none of the COVID-19 vaccines in use or being developed in the United States contain the live virus that causes COVID-19. However, you may test positive on some antibody tests, which indicates you have some level of protection against COVID-19.
Will I experience any side effects?
People can experience side effects after receiving the vaccine, especially after the second dose. These side effects are normal and are signs that the body is building immunity.
Most people who have taken COVID-19 vaccines report that side effects are usually mild and go away after several days. Learn which side effects you may have and how to cope.
According to the CDC, it will take a few weeks for your body to build immunity after vaccination. This means it is possible to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination. Public health experts stress the importance of continuing to follow safety measures like wearing a mask and social distancing. See other ways to protect yourself and your family.
All COVID-19 vaccine information provided by California Schools VEBA, including all information provided on this website, is intended to be general information only. If you have questions about a medical condition or whether or not you should get the vaccine, always seek the advice of a doctor or qualified health professional. California Schools VEBA is not responsible for, and does not guarantee the accuracy or content of information contained on this website, or any third-party websites listed here, or as made available by VEBA carriers, medical groups and any other private or public health organizations.
California Schools VEBA only recognizes official COVID-19 vaccine phases and information from state and local public health departments. VEBA does not endorse and will not report on unofficial vaccine news or resources.